Changes to the PrivacyPolicy
Information We Collect
1. PersonallyIdentifiable Information: We may collect information that identifies you(“Personally Identifiable Information”) when you interact and provide suchinformation on our Sites such as, but not limited to, when applying formembership, registering for an ABA event or program, purchasing ABA products orservices. The types of Personally Identifiable Information collected on ourSites will vary based on the Services offered on the Sites, but may include,among other things, your name, address, phone number, birth date, billing anddelivery information, e-mail address, credit card or other financial accountinformation.
2. Non-PersonalData: As you interact on our Sites, we may also collect information that is notPersonally Identifiable Information but may disclose other aspects of yourbrowsing history or certain other information about you through the use of avariety of technologies, including, but not limited to, cookies, tags, beacons,Internet Protocol (IP) address tracking/URL tracking, and other tools."Cookies" are pieces of code/text that gets placed on your computerwhen you browse our Sites. Cookies may be placed by us or third partyadvertisers contracted by us. “Tags” and web beacons refer to code scripts thatare primarily used to track visitors’ activities on our Sites by web analyticssoftware. The types of non-personal data collected on our Sites through the useof these, and other tools as the ABA may add from time to time, may include:the search terms you used, new or returning user, browser information, computertype, operating system, internet service providers, website usage, referring/exitpages, platform type, date/time stamp, number of clicks, ads viewed, etc.Additionally, cookies, tags and other tools placed by third parties may collectother information about you such as, but not limited to, your industry, companysize, job function, seniority level, etc.)(collectively, all of the foregoingdata the "Non-Personal Data").
How We Use and Share Personally Identifiable Information
Once collected, we may use your Personally IdentifiableInformation in a variety of ways including (but not limited to):
· Provide service communications such as bill reminders, orderconfirmations, program registrations, and customer service messages
· Answer your emails or online requests
· Deliver and process surveys
· Personalize and improve the usability of the Sites
· Fulfill and/or deliver ABA products and services
· Publish membership directories and registration lists asdescribed below
· Sharing with our business partners to offer you products andservices that may be of interest to you as described below
· Sharing with third parties as required by law or to protect theABA as described below
· Sharing your Email Address as permitted under ABA EmailPolicy as described below
Publication of Your Personally Identifiable Information forMembership Directories and Registration Lists. Asa professional organization, the Personally Identifiable Information youprovide may be published on the Sites and in print or digital form in a varietyof ways to allow other lawyers and the public to find you, including, but notlimited to, directories, membership lists, and other types of registrationlists for ABA programs and events (“Directory Lists”). Directory Lists will notinclude sensitive information, such as credit card or bank information, orsocial security numbers. Users may request their information be suppressed fromDirectory Lists by contactingus.
Sharing your Personally Identifiable Information to FulfillService Requests. When fulfilling service requests initiated by you, we mayshare your Personally Identifiable Information with certain third parties tofulfill the requests.
Sharing your Personally Identifiable Information With OurBusiness Partners. The ABA may share Personally Identifiable Information,other than email address and financial account information, with our businesspartners in order to provide them an opportunity to offer products or servicesthat may be of interest to you, which helps contribute non-dues revenue to theABA. The ABA also occasionally hires other companies to provide limitedservices on our behalf including, but not limited to, packaging, mailing anddelivering promotional offers, sweepstakes or contests, answering customerquestions about products or services, consulting services, data modeling,printing, sending postal mail and processing event registration.
Sharing Your Personally Identifiable Information When LegallyNecessary or to Protect the ABA’s interests.The ABA may disclose yourPersonally Identifiable Information if required to do so by law or in thegood-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legalrequirements or comply with legal process served on the ABA; (b) protect anddefend the rights or property of ABA; or (c) protect the personal safety of ABApersonnel or members of the public in appropriate circumstances.
Sharing Your Email Address Pursuant to ABA Policy. Youremail address will only be used by the ABA and its entities. We do not sell orrent email addresses to anyone outside the ABA. The ABA will also not offeremail addresses to unrelated third-parties, affiliates or ABA members
How to Manage The SharingOf Your Personally Identifiable Information
You can manage your profile and email preferences, includingopting out of Email either online orby contactingus. Additionally, if you prefer to receive mailings only from theABA and have your name and address removed from the list provided to ourbusiness partners, please contactus. For California residents, please consult the “Your PrivacyRights” for additional considerations.
How We May Use and ShareNon-Personal Data
Through the use of various technological tools, we may collectNon-Personal Data to improve the usability of our Sites/Services and for otherbusiness reasons. We may share the Non-Personal Data we collect with thirdparties or permit third parties to place tools like cookies, tags, web beacons,to collect additional Non-Personal Data when you browse our Sites. We or otherthird party companies may then use the Non-Personal Data to provideadvertisements and targeted advertisements to you (ads based on theNon-Personal Data). We do not share Personally Identifiable Information withthird parties to whom we share your Non-Personal Data. Please note thatyou may be subject to the privacy policies of other non-ABA companies when youhit an advertising link or other link that takes you to sites not operated bythe ABA.
California Privacy Rights
We do not knowingly solicit data online from or market online tochildren under the age of 13.
The ABA implements commercially reasonable security measures toprotect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosureor destruction of data. We restrict access to personal information to the ABA’sbusiness partners who may need to know that information in order to operate,develop or improve our services. These individuals or partner organizations arebound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline,including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet theseobligations.
User ID and password
Certain areas of the Sites may require the use of a user ID,email address or password as an additional security measure that helps protectyour information.
To help you protect your privacy, the ABA Sites have clear toolsto help you log in and log out.
Linking to other Internetsites
How you can access andchange information
If you are a registered user of the Sites, subscriber to ABApublications, purchaser of ABA products and services or an ABA member, you mayreview and update/correct your information directly on the ABA’swebsite—americanbar.org—or by contactingus.
Last updated August 2, 2012